COBOL Boot Camp
Do you really feel like re-writing millions of lines of code? We didn’t think so.
You needed skilled COBOL people in the past, you also need them now and into the future.
TSO/ISPF & z/OS
- Concepts and facilities offered by z Systems mainframes-hardware and software levels.
- Hardware components
- Operating systems supported
- Compatibility with legacy systems
- z/OS operating system
- Subsystems that run on z/OS
- Online transaction processing
- Benefits of a 64-bit Operating System
- Function of TSO in the z/OS Environment
- TSO Commands
- Function of ISPF in the z/OS Environment
- ISPF Main Menu & Navigating ISPF
- Utilities Group & The Editor
- Submitting Jobs
- Viewing output via SDSF
JCL & UTILITIES, SORT, SYNCSORT
- The three major JCL statements (JOB, EXEC and DD)
- Creation of datasets
- Catalogued and Instream procedures
- Building Generation Data Groups
- Creating and manipulating VSAM data sets
- Step restart and the use of conditional step execution
- Listing data sets, volume information, creating, printing and manipulating sequential and PDSs, sorting data and creating VSAM.
- System Managed Storage (DFSMS)
- SDSF is used extensively in this module to display job execution and to make corrections, as required.
IDCAMS – JCL FOR GDGs
- Creating and manipulating generation data sets
- Introduction to Generation Data Groups (GDGs)
- Using IDCAMS in the building and manipulation of GDGs
- Sequential Input and Output
- COBOL data formats
- Data Validation and Data Manipulation
- Single, double and triple level Control Break Logic
- Single, and multiple Dimensional Table Handling
- Called and Calling programs
- Data validation, application testing, and debugging
- Compiler directives
- Processing user data, processing and updating data files, and creating reports
- Accessing and updating databases (DB2 and/or IMS)
- Processing CICS transactions and MQ messages
Have questions about our COBOL Boot Camp? Reach out to us to learn more!